The Brewery is on the site of a previous brewery – The Old Brewery Co. formed in September 1889 to take over the business of Henry John Allison.
The business was offered for auction on 25 June 1896 with 4 pubs. Information was found regarding the sale in the ‘West Cumberland Times’ of 27 June 1896 and in the ‘Carlisle Journal’ of 30 June 1896, Mr Bowden- Auctioneer, held an auction in the Court buildings, Keswick. of the Old Brewery Keswick and four hotels. The ‘Twa Dogs’ Inn, Brigham, Keswick; the ‘George Hotel’, Saint Johns Street in Keswick; the ‘Black Lion’ hotel, Main Street in Keswick and the ‘Farmers’ Arms’ beerhouse in Portinscale. These were the property of the Keswick Brewery Company. There were a large number of companies who attended the auction. The bidding reached £400.00 for the brewery alone and the brewery and hotels reached £6,400.00. A bid for all four hotels reached £5,700.00. Individually the hotels reached between £300.00 and £3,000.00. The properties obviously did not reach their reserve prices as they were withdrawn and sold privately as one lot to Jennings of Cockermouth. Jennings subsequently sold the ‘George Hotel’ in Keswick to Messrs Spencer of Whitehaven. The Keswick Brewery Company was liquidated in 1897.
Faulders Brewery bottle labels (above).
Information is limited regarding the old Keswick breweries and maltings. If anyone has any information we would be very interested.